Content is king...

One of the biggest challenges that radio is facing nowadays, is the computer. Podcasting and the ability to download audio and video on demand will probably kick analogue radio quite hard in the nuts. Richard Phelps and Andrew Dubber speak of this with more knowledge than I do.

What this means is that we need to get on board the Overlander of podcasting and make what we do available to people who don't always have the time to sit and listen to a radio show. Seems simple enough and our Classic Hits website is currently having this feature built into it.

This is all well and good for the people who are outstanding broadcasters. Those polarising personalities that stand above the rest of us, giving us something to aspire to, those announcers who command appointment listening. I don't put myself into that category yet, I'm in the "Do a good job with good ratings on a music based show" category which makes it hard to figure out what the best stuff to put on the net is!

Thoughts like, ""Well, I had a funny caller at 8.42pm tonight so I could put that on..." Or, "That was a good competition winner but I can't put that on because the competition is now over..." go through my head.

I could put the 80s at 8 and 90s at 9 on maybe? That seems like a really good idea to me, however someone pointed out that a 25 minute feature including music, is going to be too big a file size. Will it? I'm yet to get a straight answer.

I don't know a whole lot about computers, I've learnt pretty much all I know by just jumping in and doing it so this needs to be treated the same way.

Here are two audio files for you to have a listen to. They work on my computer, they may not work on yours. I'm happy to receive feedback, just remember that I'm learning. I'm not doing this on expensive gear, I'm doing it in my little home studio on free websites. To have a play, kind of an unofficial trial.

SMART VS MICHAEL STIPE OF REM 1
SMART VS MICHAEL STIPE OF REM 2

Interviews were recorded a week or so before REM toured here last year.

3 comments:

  1. sounds great Dave.when will we be able to listen to your show live on the net?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can already! To listen, click the 'Listen Live' pic at the top of this blog, just under my mugshot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "crickets that one with the ball and the big flat bat" hhahaaaaa!
    These are cool boy. More of them would be great.......... I'm just learning too. About to now go and find out what I have to do to listen to a "podcast". (Behind eh!)

    Madster

    ReplyDelete