Oh brother, where art thou..

This week, I've been lucky enough to meet my half brother Paul. To catch you up, my biological father bailed before I was born and my mum died when I was 10. I was brought up for the remainder of my childhood by my grandparents and I owe them the world for it.

It turns out that my father was a bit of a romeo and wherever he laid his hat, he also took off his pants and there are a few half siblings running about the place. I've met my half sister, and now her full brother, my half, has turned up.

He was meant to come round for an evening and we got on so well he stayed for 4 nights and over that time we've discovered some interesting parallels in our lives.
  • He now lives in Takaka, near Nelson where I grew up.
  • I used to live in Northland where he grew up.
  • We're both tall, a bit ginge and have a lot of the same mannerisms.
  • My wife's name is Anna, his partner's name is, you guessed it, Anna.
  • We've also both worked in radio as announcers and writers.
Sure there are differences too, as you'd expect. The fun has been finding out about them.


He's the handsome one on the right...


Paul's an amazing guy, a very spiritual, fascinating man. He's intense, yet chilled. A hippy who drives a Subaru and he's got a heart of gold. I can't wait to see him again and continue to build our relationship.

So I mentioned it on air and it amazes me how many people have similar stories in this broken and blended family world we now live in.

CLICK HERE TO LISTEN (DUR: 11.47 / 2.69 MB)

1 comment:

  1. Hey Dave

    That is so cool to read.
    I have family in England who i have never met.So i know how you felt before you met your half brother.
    We can choose our friends but not our family.So make the most of your family.

    ReplyDelete