Ronery... So ronery...

After the magical world of my child's first birthday over the weekend, my wife and daughter are in Auckland for the week and I'm back in Wellington.

In the past this would have been exciting but something's changed.

Mates say, "Hey, you can starfish!" Nah. It's too cold and I'm foetaled up underneath the cats.

Others say, "Hey, you can go out and party, you've got a free pass!" Nah. I'm a 32 year old man who gets up for work at 4.30 in the morning.

In my youth I would have loved having the space to myself, I would have been walking round the house in the nude, drinking as much as I wanted and generally doing all the things I wouldn't normally.

Really, I'd just rather have my girls back.

Am I a sadarse or is this just one of those growing up things? I'm telling myself it's the latter and I think I'm right. Hangovers hurt more. Early bedtimes feel good and I've got a really good fire going right now.

The other issue is food. it's a fact that cooking for yourself is no fun. No matter how many times you go back to the fridge, nothing materialises from the almost empty space which was there before. Ok so there's plenty of milk and cheese, but there won't be by Wednesday. There's one Heineken in there too but I don't feel like it.

I might have cereal for dinner. At least that's harking back to my youth.

1 comment:

  1. I hear ya. Went to Sydney by myself a couple of months ago and it just wasn't any fun without the fam there to enjoy it with me.

    Isn't this why we unionize in the first place?

    Carl

    ReplyDelete