The Neverending Headache...

Yes, I’m up and awake as usual and tonight, the headache isn’t too bad. Bad enough however that I can’t sleep.
Let’s go back.

On Tuesday, I had my lower two impacted wisdom teeth extracted. It’s a fairly normal procedure in this day and age, I won’t bore you with the details except to tell you that the aftermath of General Anaesthetic makes me act like a shitfaced 22 year old at 3am.

I spent Tuesday and Wednesday popping Nurofen, Panadol and Tramadol and recovering as you do but on Thursday night, things changed.

I began to get a headache, the likes of which I have never felt before. I rang the dentist surgery who said, “Come in, we’ll take a look. It might be something we call dry socket.”

It wasn’t, but they did tell me to stop taking Tramadol as it can cause headaches in some people and gave me a script for Codeine instead. Home I went and I spent the entire night awake with this headache.

Friday night, it became unbearable, I was in tears, doubled over and a complete mess. We go the neighbour in to watch the kids and Anna took me to Wellington Hospital’s ED at about 7pm. They took bloods, which were fine. They gave me Panadol and Nurofen, which didn’t work. They eventually gave me Fentanyl. That worked! Unfortunately, it lasted about half an hour before wearing off. I took two swigs of that, then some morphine based anti-inflammatory which got me home about midnight.

Saturday night. You guessed it, the pain is back. I called the dentist who saw me on Friday night who rang the on-call head-teeth guy. Turns out, he was the guy who took my wisdom teeth out earlier in the week, bonus! He was at Hutt Hospital so off I trekked about 9pm to see this guy. They gave me a CT scan to make sure I didn’t have a tumour or anything really nasty, dumped all the pills that I have been taking up until now and handed me some new ones, Serva-something and Indomethi-something. Pills, which when I went to get the prescription, the lady behind the counter thought I was an addict and had to call the Doctor to make sure I was getting the right stuff.

Sunday night was bearable, I didn’t need any sort of medical intervention at all and I got a full night’s sleep, unfortunately these new drugs change my mood and make me sleepy so no work as yet.

Now here I am on Monday night, awake, in a bit of pain, not so bad I need to call someone but bad enough that I can’t sleep. I’m going to attempt work in the morning because at this stage the pain is only really bad at night.

It’s worth pointing out that they don’t know what’s wrong with me. The Doctor even said that the mystery has got him and his mates quite fascinated with my case and there are apparently a bunch of Doctors working on me now.

I’ve finally made it, I am starring in my own episode of House, MD.

7 comments:

  1. Buddy I hope its nothing really serious. I suspect you are trying not to entertain any thoughts like that! Thinking of ya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you are feeling better Smarty, teeth can cause all sorts of problems! xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you get a diagnostic team that includes a Doctor that looks like '13', I'd like to be notified!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you're feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Was the dentist wearing a mask? Chances are he did it so you couldn't identify him in a line-up. Hope the pain is nothing too serious, and thanks for convincing me to keep my wisdom teeth AND my money.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh you poor bugger. I feel for ya- my headaches were excruiating for months until they were fixed. Hope everything else is well.

    ReplyDelete